Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and that means it’s time to make some Valentine’s Day inspired treats! These Strawberry Nutella Heart Pies are just the ticket. They are easy to make and so full of deliciousness! Any of the Nutella lovers in your life will absolutely love these!
If you’re like me and wondering how Nutella and strawberries could possibly make a delicious combination, don’t knock it before you try it. I’m not a big fan of chocolate, but there’s something about chocolate covered strawberries that brings me to the dark side of chocolate.
Although Nutella isn’t exactly the traditional chocolate, the combination of Nutella and strawberries dances a waltz on your tastebuds and the sound of ballroom music can be heard in the distance. Okay, that’s an exaggeration, but the taste is tantalizing!
Speaking of tantalizing, wait until you smell the aroma of these decadent desserts! Your home will smell like Valentine’s Day should smell!
R & M Valentine 7 Piece Cookie Cutter SetDII Cotton Sweet Heart Women Kitchen Apron with Pocket and Extra Long Tie, Cute Cooking and Baking Apron for Valentine’s day, Mother’s day, Birthday gifts-Love CollageMrs. Anderson’s Baking Cookie Cutters
Makes: 16 pies (8 pies from each roll)
- 1 box of Refrigerated Pie Crust (2 rolls) (I used Pillsbury)
- ½ cup of chopped fresh Strawberries
- ½ cup of Nutella
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon of Lemon Juice
- Egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 Tablespoon water)
- Red Sanding Sugar (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 450 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat. Keep aside.
2) In a bowl, combine the chopped strawberries, lemon juice and lemon zest. Toss until just combined. Set aside.
3) Unroll the pie dough onto a well-floured surface. Using a 3-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out as many ‘hearts’ as possible. Using a rolling-pin, roll out the scraps and continue to cut out ‘hearts’ until you run out of dough. I got 16 ‘hearts’ from 1 pie dough. Repeat the same with the other pie dough.
4) Spread about 1 teaspoon of the Nutella in the centers of half of the dough ‘hearts’ leaving a 1/4- inch border around the edges. Spoon a teaspoon of the strawberries atop the Nutella. Do not overfill!
5) Brush around the edges of the dough with a finger dipped in egg wash. This will be the ‘glue’.
6) Place a second dough ‘heart’ on top each filled ‘heart’. Then use a fork to crimp the edges together.
7) Brush each pie with the egg wash and make 3 or 6 tiny holes or incisions on the top of each pie with a sharp knife.
8) Sprinkle with red sanding sugar. Optional step.
9) Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
10) Bake the pies for 15 minutes, or until they’re golden brown. Enjoy!
Don’t Forget to Print The Recipe For Later!