The Best Instant Pot Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
If you are on the hunt for the best Instant Pot turkey and sweet potato chili in the world, you found it. This recipe is my tried and true sweet potato chili that I have been making for years. Creamy, protein-packed, sweet potato loaded, spiced up chili that will knock your socks off. If you are a fan of chili, this recipe is a must. The Instant Pot gives you that slow simmer flavor but made in a hurry- it is perfect for fall!
I have a special place in my palate for sweet potatoes, whether it is sweet potato chips, hash, or even a sweet potato casserole. They are such a colorful potato that are full of nutrients and healthier than the alternative. Plus sweet potatoes taste amazing whether they are made to be sweet or savory. The beans, ground turkey and seasonings in this chili pair well with the soft and tender elements of the sweet potatoes.
Colder weather is quickly approaching and that means I am loading our house up with soups, stews, and more. I am grabbing some hearty sweet potatoes and I will be preparing those cold weather meals, filling our home with the rich aroma of this warm and cozy fall chili. It reheats beautifully and I’m almost certain it has more flavor than the day it was made as it sits and marries those flavors more.
Why Is This Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili So Nutritious
Here are a few of the ingredients and how they are beneficial to our bodies. You might be amazed at all the fantastic and nutritious ingredients in this soup.
Sweet Potatoes | These beauties are full of Vitamins A and C and fully loaded with other nutrients to fuel your body and help protect you from germs floating around.
Ground Turkey | When you use ground turkey, it offers a leaner form of protein. In essence, you’re eliminating fat. It is a healthier protein to use in this soup.
Olive Oil | Rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, this oil is a great one to use in place of say vegetable oil. You gain a few extra nutrients along the way.
Tomatoes | You gain vitamins A and C from those rich red tomatoes!
Pinto Beans | A low-fat bean that is loaded with vitamins and nutrients as well as a nice supply of fiber to your diet.
Chipotle Chili Powder | Not only does this powder add flavor, but it also boosts your metabolism, reduce blood pressure, manage diabetes, and more.
So as you can see it doesn’t lack on in flavor or nutrition! Great for kids to get the nutrients to help their growing bodies and keep you feeling good and fighting against the cold weather season that is knocking on our door.
Instant Pot Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
- 1.25 lbs. of Ground Turkey
- 2 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 medium sized Onion, diced
- 1 medium sized Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 4 to 6 cloves of Garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup of dry Pinto Beans, soaked overnight or soaked in boiling hot water for 2 hours
- 2 teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon of Chipotle Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon of Tomato Paste
- 1 (15. 5 oz.) can of Diced Tomatoes
- 4 cups of Chicken Stock
- 2 medium-sized Sweet Potatoes, cubed
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro, Avocado and Limes to serve
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and WarmerInstant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and SterilizerMidnight Traders – Silicone Egg Bites Molds with Silicone Vegetable Steamer and Silicone Mini Mitts Fits Instant Pot 5,6,8 qt Pressure Cooker
- Turn the Instant Pot on the ‘Sauté’ mode. Let the Pot heat up for 4 to 5 minutes or until the display shows ‘HOT’.
- Add the olive oil, minced garlic, diced onion and the green pepper.
- Sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes, till translucent.
- Add the ground turkey and let it brown for about 5 minutes. Keep stirring and breaking the turkey in to pieces with the spatula.
- Add the soaked pinto beans, smoked paprika, chipotle chili pepper, salt and the tomato paste. Mix it well.
- Add the diced tomatoes and the chicken stock. Give it a good stir.
- Turn off “Sauté” mode. Put the lid on, making sure that the pressure valve is in the “Sealing” position.
- Select the “Pressure Cook” mode. Adjust the time, with the “- / +” to 15 minutes.
- When Instant Pot beeps, let the pressure release the natural way for 5 minutes and then using the short plastic spoon that comes with the instant pot, turn the pressure valve to “Venting” position to do the quick release.
- Next add the cubed sweet potato. Put the lid on, making sure that the pressure valve is in the “Sealing” position.
- Select the “Pressure Cook” mode. Adjust the time, with the “- / +” to 5 minutes.
- When Instant Pot beeps, let the pressure release the natural way for 10 minutes and then using the short plastic spoon that comes with the instant pot, turn the pressure valve to “Venting” position to do the quick release.
- If there is too much liquid, turn the Instant Pot back on the ‘Sauté’ mode and let the chili simmer for 5 to 8 minutes till the liquid has evaporated and there is a thick stew like consistency.
- Serve hot with chopped cilantro, diced avocado and a squeeze of lime juice.
- In case you want to use canned beans, use 1 (15 oz) can of pinto beans. Add the sweet potatoes, along with the beans and pressure cook for 8 minutes. The beans and potatoes will be tender by then.
- Instead of chipotle chili powder, feel free to use a 1 chipotle chili and ½ a teaspoon of adobo sauce from the can.
Don’t Forget To Print Your Recipe Out For Later!