Instant Pot Irish Lamb Stew
If you are looking for a hearty meal than you will fall head over heels for then look no further! This Instant Pot Irish Lamb Stew is what’s for dinner.
If you hopped on the Instant Pot bandwagon like many others have, you might be on the hunt for some delicious recipes to add to your recipe rolodex. With St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, it gave me the inspiration to create this hearty Irish Lamb Stew that the whole family will devour.
Rich in flavor, hearty and very comforting, especially on a cold winter day.
If it is a recipe I am whipping up, you bet these days I am gonna try to make it in our Instant Pot. Since this is a St. Patrick’s Day inspired recipe, I thought it would be fun to share some fun facts about St. Patty’s day.
St Patrick’s Day Facts
No Corn In Corned Beef
A lot of people assume that corned beef has something to do with corned beef. It came about because of the salt used to cure the meats, which was also called “corns” back in the day.
Only Male Leprechauns
Did you know that in traditional Irish folk tales you will only see male leprechauns? They don’t allow female leprechauns.
In Ireland, St. Patrick’s Day is considered a religious holiday. All the stores and banks close for the day so they can celebrate.
Blue Not Green
St. Patrick was originally associated with the color blue rather than green. He was shown wearing a blue vestment. Green came about later down the line.
River Dyed Green
In Chicago, the rivers are dyed green on each St. Patrick’s Day.
Aren’t those facts pretty cool? Now that you have had your lesson for the day, let’s get cooking! First of all, you will need an instant pot. If you don’t have one yet- here are some I would recommend:
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer (Packaging May Vary)Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and SterilizerInstant Pot DUO80 8 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
2 lbs. lamb stew meat
1 large turnip chopped
4 red potatoes chopped
1 leek chopped
3 carrots chopped
1 large onion chopped
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 bay leaves
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried parsley
4 cups chicken stock or bone broth
3 tbsp. flour (rice, tapioca, all-purpose, etc.)
* chop all vegetables in large pieces
1) Add olive oil to Instant Pot insert. Turn to sauté and heat the oil. When the oil is hot add the onions, garlic, and lamb stew meat to the oil to brown for 3-5 minutes.
2) Once the meat is browned add the rest of the ingredients except the flour to Instant Pot, give it a quick stir and place the bay leave on the top. Close the lid and turn the pressure valve to sealing.
3) Cook the stew for 18 minutes on high pressure using the stew setting. Let the pressure release naturally.
4) To thicken the stew, remove about 1/2 cup liquid from the Instant Pot. Whisk in the flour to the removed liquid, and then add it back to the stew in the Instant Pot.
Turn the Instant Pot to sauté and gently stir the stew while it thickens, about 2 minutes.
5) Serve the stew immediately and garnish with more parsley.
Don’t Forget to Print The Recipe For Later!