Today I am sharing with you how to prepare Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef! Let’s begin with a few facts about this tasty treat first!
Cooking Barbacoa Beef originated in the Caribbean with the Taino people. Notice a similarity between Barbacoa and Barbecue? However, the two words should be confused. Those who are traditionally from Mexico will tell you, it is NOT the same as Barbecue!
Join: Our Awesome Recipe Group on Facebook for More Ideas!
Need an Instant Pot or cookbook? We’ve got you covered!
In Mexico, Barbacoa refers to meats or whole sheep slow-cooked over an open fire, or more traditionally, in a hole dug in the ground covered with maguey leaves.
Preparing the meat this way allows for it to become very tender and shred very easily. This meat is generally accompanied by onions and cilantro.
Later, Barbacoa was adapted into cuisine in the southwest by way of Texas.
For those of us who don’t have an open fire pit handy for cooking all the time, we need another method. So I am excited to share with you how to fix Instant Pot Barbacoa!
First gather your ingredients. You will need:
2 ½- 3 lbs. beef or pork roast (defrosted)
1 diced white onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup broth (chicken or beef)
3 tsp. oregano
3 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup lime or lemon juice
1 tsp. vegetable oil
4 tbsp. brown sugar (optional)
1) Using the sauté function, heat oil.
2) Mix together oregano, cumin, chili, salt, and pepper to make a rub. Cover the entire roast with the rub.
3) Sear the roast in the Instant Pot on each side until crispy brown. About 2-3 minutes each side should do it.
4) Dump onions, garlic, broth, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar into the Instant pot. Give it a light stir to blend the liquids.
5) Lock the lid into place and turn steam valve to sealing. Cook roast using the meat setting for 35 minutes. Let pressure release naturally.
6) Remove roast from Instant Pot and reserve 1 cup of the juice, discard the rest.
7) Shred the meat and place back into the Instant Pot insert. Mix in the cup of reserved juice and brown sugar and let sit for 15 minutes. The meat will absorb the flavor the longer it sits.
8) Use for burritos, tacos, and quesadillas.
If you want to see more instant pot recipes, just click the pot below!