An Air Fryer vs an Instant Pot have a few fundamental differences. If you are thinking of purchasing one or the other, I will help break down the differences. This article will give you a good idea of which one might fit your cooking style the best. We use them both as I have found both to be beneficial in my meal plans and recipes.
Both of these trending kitchen appliances have claims to cook just about everything your heart desires. Are they similar? No. They prepare the food in entirely different ways. And while they both trim down cook times on many dishes, they are indeed different. So what’s the difference between an instant pot and an air fryer?
Compare the Instant Pot vs Air Fryer
How does the Air Fryer Work?
The Air Fryer heats food with hot air and uses minimal oil to cook, but gives you that fried food texture. It is a healthier alternative to frying your foods while still supplying the crunch you crave without immersing it in a pot of hot oil.
Air Fryers are one of the top sellers on Amazon because everyone wants one. Plus in our dedicated Facebook group we share all the different air frying recipes to get you started! From side dishes, appetizers, breakfast options and more, the Air fryer is very versatile in all that you can cook inside this little appliance. You can fry, grill, bake, and roast in your Air Fryer.
Inside the Air Fryer is a wire basket to place food. The heating element is on the top. When you turn it on, heat blows all around inside and begins to cook the food in all different directions, just like if you dropped it in a regular fryer. You get the fried foods minus the oils.
FrenchMay Air Fryer – 3.7Qt, 1500W – Comes with Recipes & CookBook – Touch Screen Control – Dishwasher Safe – Auto Shut off & TimerGoWISE USA 3.7-Quart Programmable Air Fryer with 8 Cook Presets, GW22639
There is an adjustable temperature gauge that allows you to cook foods at optimal temperatures. It has an exhaust vent that releases hot air as it cooks to regulate proper temperature as well.
The Instant Pot has a pressure valve that you set depending on what dish you are creating. So as you can see they are similar but have completely different ways they work.
I personally love my air fryer. Here are some of my most popular air fryer recipes from 2017!
Here are a few of my newest ones from this year that are well on their way to being hits too!
- Air Fryer Egg Rolls– This recipe is so fun because I get to use my instant pot for the filling!
- Air Fryer Paleo Coconut Crusted Bananas– Who said you can’t eat healthy! This recipe is a hit with the kids as well!
- Air Fryer Eggs in a Bell Pepper Ring– I get tired of eating the same ole same ole for breakfast. This low carb recipe is fun and delicious!
Air Fryer Cooking Chart
Don’t miss my printable Air Fryer Cooking Chart that I shared in my post “How to use Your Air Fryer”
How does the Instant Pot Work?
The Instant Pot is the most popular kitchen appliance on the market and for a good reason. You can cook eggs, rice, use as a yogurt maker, saute’, slow cook foods, keep your dishes warm and more.
The Instant Pot is a multi-purpose kitchen appliance that not only gives you tons of options but also cooks the dishes a lot faster than traditional oven or stove top methods.
Instant Pot LUX60 V3 6 Qt 6-in-1 Muti-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, and WarmerInstant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
The Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker that is a massive upgrade from the old school pressure cookers. There are safety mechanisms to protect you when you use this and it works wonders.
You can cook whole chickens, make soups, pasta, rice, desserts and more inside this pot in a short time. The steam builds up inside and that is what cooks your foods super fast while locking in nutrients. The Instant Pot is a go-to tool for busy parents who still want healthy wholesome meals but don’t have a ton of time to cook.
It is super easy to convert slow cooker recipes for your instant pot which is another thing I just love about this magic pot! I also love how many accessories that are available for the instant pot! You can shop for them here and through my influencer page!
2017 was an amazing year for Instant Pot Recipes too on my site. You can see my top post of Instant Pot Recipes here.
Now that we are well into 2019 the instant pot recipes are still in high demand. Here are a few posts that are also pretty popular!
- Meal Planning With the Instant Pot– in 2017 I started a series on meal planning for the instant pot. This year I have taken that a step further by creating meal plans!
- Instant Pot Egg Roll In A Bowl– I love this low carb version of traditional egg rolls! It also can act as a filler if you want to use the air fryer to make egg rolls!
- Instant Pot Cakes in a Jar– These tasty treats use almond flour (or you can sub for regular) and by using that, they are guilt free treats the whole family can enjoy!
- Instant Pot Wings– Wings are a huge hit for my family and using the instant pot just makes it easier! So good and super simple- best part? The wings are frozen!
- Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken– Skip the take out and make your own! This recipe uses cauliflower rice and is much healthier and lower carb than your traditional take out option!
- Tons of options! Seriously- Have so many options on my website. I couldn’t possibly list them all! Another thing? This year I also launched a second site! So you have even more Instant Pot options over there!
Should I buy an Air Fryer or an Instant Pot?
When you go to buy either the Air Fryer or the Instant Pot, you need to remember the differences you read above and ask yourself a few questions. What types of foods do you want to cook? Which do you feel you would use the most? Which do you think would be easier for you to use?
Like I said above, we love them both. I use both the Air Fryer and the Instant Pot in our home all the time and they work great. They are both smaller so it doesn’t take much to store them.
They both offer different ways to cook food and as a person who loves food, I like to have options. For example, I use the Air Fryer to create my fried green tomato recipe. I use the Instant Pot for soups.
Ultimately, which gadget works best for you depends on your meal plans and your family’s taste buds. Either way, I have a plenty recipes for each gadget to help you get started. Which one is your favorite or do you have or want both?