Instant Pot Cottage Cheese
Making yogurt in the Instant Pot is all the rage, but if you have never had homemade cottage cheese, you are missing out. I have created this Instant Pot cottage cheese recipe that is super delicious. Y
ou can serve it alone or add some sliced up tomatoes or peaches and you have an afternoon snack. My magic gadget (aka Instant Pot) makes the cooking process a breeze and the flavor of this recipe is perfection!
Many Instant Pot beginners have fears such as will it blow up, is the food going to be edible, which button do to choose, and so on. I am here to tell you that you have nothing to fear.
The Instant Pot has changed our lives. Toss the food in, adjust settings, sit and wait. Your food will normally come out perfect each time and I love the variety of dishes I can make. From tossing in frozen chicken and pulling out a perfect meal in under 30 minutes, I’m amazed each time I use my magic gadget.
Then I can prepare a dessert or even this cottage cheese recipe! If you have an Instant Pot, I encourage you to get creative with you recipes and utilize all the magic it has to offer!
Now with the Instant Pot cottage cheese, this recipe makes around 2 pints! You can use vinegar for a quicker result, but I really do prefer the taste of the lemon.
Some might not notice a huge difference between the two, by my tastebuds say lemon, but your tastebuds may say vinegar. Either way, you have options in case you don’t have a lemon on hand.
This is a very simple recipe that is super affordable and tastes even better than the store-bought cottage cheese. Once you start making your own, you won’t want to go back to buying it. I hope you all enjoy this delicious dish!
Here is what you will need to make the recipe
*** Your Instant Pot. If you don’t have one, grab one from Amazon. Here are some of my favorites-
Instant Pot Duo Mini 3 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and WarmerInstant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and SterilizerInstant Pot DUO80 8 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
*** Fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth. You can get both those also on amazon-
Bellemain Stainless Steel Mesh Strainers, Set of 3 Graduated Sizes with Comfortable Non Slip HandlesCheesecloth, Grade 90, 36 Sq Feet, Reusable, 100% Unbleached Cotton Fabric, Ultra Fine Cheesecloth for Cooking – Nut Milk Bag, Strainer, Filter (Grade 90 – 4Yards)
1 gallon milk (any fat percentage works)
2/3 cup lemon juice or white vinegar (about 2 lemons)
2-3 tbsp milk or half and half
salt to taste
1) Place the Instant Pot insert inside the Instant Pot and fill it with milk. Close the Instant Pot lid. You do not need to turn the pressure valve but can if you’d like.
2) Press the yogurt setting on the Instant Pot.
Then press adjust so that the display reads “boil”. The Instant Pot will bring the milk up to the needed temperature in about 30-40 minutes depending on the temperature of the milk.
3) When the Instant Pot beeps that the boiling process is done, turn the Instant Pot off and remove the lid. Add in the lemon juice or vinegar, give it a quick stir and let the milk sit to allow curd to form. If you used lemon juice it will take about an hour. Vinegar works quicker and only takes about 15 minutes. You will know it’s done when the curds and whey separate.
4) Using a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth strain the cottage cheese from the whey. Rinse under cool water.
5) Place the cottage cheese into a bowl and mix in the 2-3 tbsp milk to keep the cheese from drying out. Salt to taste.
6) Spoon into an air tight container. Store in the refrigerator for about 1 week. I chose to use jars. You can pick up 1 pint jars off Amazon also-
– This made about 2-pint jars of cottage cheese.
– The whey can be saved and used in place of buttermilk if desired. You can see how it was stored below in the picture.
– I have made cottage cheese both ways. The process is quicker with vinegar, but I prefer the flavor of the cottage cheese made with lemon.
I hope you enjoy this cottage cheese recipe! Don’t forget to print it out for later!
- This made about 2-pint jars of cottage cheese. - The whey can be saved and used in place of buttermilk if desired. - I have made cottage cheese both ways. The process is quicker with vinegar, but I prefer the flavor of the cottage cheese made with lemon.
- This made about 2-pint jars of cottage cheese.
- The whey can be saved and used in place of buttermilk if desired.
- I have made cottage cheese both ways. The process is quicker with vinegar, but I prefer the flavor of the cottage cheese made with lemon.