Disclaimer: Compensation was provided by Amwell via Momtrends. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions of Amwell or Momtrends.
We are in the midst of that time of year – flu season! It’s that part of the year where I want to stay in my house, in some sort of bubble, while the rest of the world goes on and the flu dies off. Unfortunately, that’s just wishful thinking. I have errands to run, groceries to purchase, my boys have tutorials, youth group, Trail Life and the list grows longer as the day grows shorter. All these things must go on.
If you’re anything like me, you’re terrified to get sick and want to do anything you can to prevent it! Thankfully, our friends at Amwell have helped bring us some amazing flu prevention tips to keep us and our family safe.
What is Amwell?
Amwell is an amazing, breakthrough technology that allows us to talk to doctors via our smart phone or computers.
How do you communicate with them? It’s through video chat or voice if you are visually impaired.
How much does it cost? The cost is $59 per visit, but your insurance company will help pay some of that!
What sort of services do they offer? They offer services for urgent care, kids, nutrition, emotional and more.
What are some of the benefits to using a virtual doctor? They are available 24 hours a day and the wait time is only minutes. If you have a sick baby at 2am, you don’t have to wait for the medical provider’s office to open in the morning! With Amwell, you can call and speak to a medical professional right there at home.
I chatted with them about flu prevention this week and was beyond impressed by how well they answered my questions and how professional they were. I chose Amwell for the convenience factor – I was able to get the answers I needed without ever leaving my bedroom.
For someone who is really sick, you will find Amwell AMAZING for this very purpose. I definitely prefer going to this over other doctors for that reason alone! If you want to see how great they are for yourself, you can use coupon code MOM21 for 25% off your visit!
So, what ARE some flu tips we can learn from Amwell?
- Get the flu shot. It’s never too late to get the shot and it’s the most effective way to prevent from getting sick. Sure, you may hear stories about how it didn’t work for someone or how they got sick right after, but our Amwell professionals say this is the best way to avoid the flu.
- Hand Sanitizer. If you didn’t get the shot, all hope is not lost! Get a bottle of hand sanitizer and carry it around with you everywhere you go. Use it often.
- Wear a Mask. Yes, people may look at you like you’re nuts, but if you are planning to be in tight spaces with lots of people (like on a plane) a mask is your best bet. The flu is an airborne illness, so just a cough or sneeze can easily transmit it.
- Don’t Touch Other People and Don’t Share Utensils/Drinks. If you’re out with friends, do NOT drink or eat after them. Stay away from other people (I’m talking like an arm’s length distance here!) and just give yourself space. Doing this will help make sure that you are staying away from any potentially sick people.
If you think you have the flu:
- Don’t go out in public if you can avoid it. You’re likely to pass it on to other people and keep spreading it.
- Keep hydrated. Drink lots of water and fluids.
- See a doctor if you need to.
- Rest. Don’t stress yourself and take some days off work.
- Keep in mind that most people get over it quickly and without any long term effects.
I am personally a HUGE fan of using Elderberry Syrup for fighting the flu. If you haven’t heard of it, it’s basically a natural miracle concoction that’s sure to help fight off all those nasty germs. You can also use the recipe for Elderberry Gummies for adults and kids both. However, if that isn’t enough, Amwell is your next best step.
If you want to try out Amwell for yourself, next time you or your family needs to talk to a doctor, don’t forget I have an exciting surprise for you – 25% off your visit!
Simply use coupon code MOM21 at checkout and you’ll get the discount. The coupon code will expire on December 31, 2018.