I’m sure we all have a weakness when it comes to snacks. My snack weakness is chips. I had to develop the strength and will power to deny myself these delectable crispy snacks when I lost 130 pounds about six months ago. However, I have not worked as hard on maintaining my weight and really need to get back on track. ONE thing I love about the Air Fryer is that it’s a healthier option for fried foods. Even if you aren’t setting out to shed a lot of weight, the air fryer is still a better option because it is an excellent way to reduce fat and calories WITHOUT sacrificing taste!
Two Air Fryer’s we have and use……
Join: Our Awesome Recipe Group on Facebook for More Ideas!
So, back to my weakness. Well, along come sweet potatoes! Sweet potatoes are an excellent alternative to regular potatoes. Here are a few healthy benefits of sweet potatoes:
- Vitamin A: sweet potatoes have beta-carotene which is actually what gives the sweet potato the beautiful orange color that it has! Vitamin A has many health benefits for you such as aiding in cell development, maintaining your immune system and new red blood cell development.
- Fiber: making sure you get enough fiber is very important! Fiber helps in so many areas like cardiovascular development, preventing high cholesterol, stabilizing blood sugar and also preventing your blood sugar from spiking. This is very important for diabetics and borderline diabetics.
- Potassium: potassium is a mineral we often over look in our diet, yet it is so important! One time my oldest was really sick and we went to the ER. This of COURSE was while my husband was deployed again. Anyway, long story short- he was six at the time and what ended up being wrong with him was his potassium levels were super low! He had recently had a horrible case of the flu and it caused him more issues. So sweet potatoes are one way to boost your potassium intake in a tasty way!
When I was shedding those 130 pounds, I had to change my eating habits. I had to shift from eating potato chips at night to eating something that was healthier. I began making a lot of homemade snacks. Besides, sweet potatoes are not only tasty, but they’re also a good carb!
Since receiving my Air Fryer for Christmas and now working on all these amazing recipes, so far my family has LOVED everything we have fixed. Enjoy this recipe for a healthier alternative to chips!
Sweet Potato Chips
Serves: 2 to 6
- 2 medium sized Sweet Potatoes, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon of ground Cinnamon (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Slice the sweet potatoes very thinly. Use a mandolin or a food processor.
- Soak the sweet potato slices in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry the slices thoroughly. Repeat multiple times till completely dry. This and important step to ensure crispy chips.
- Toss the sweet potato slices with olive oil, salt and pepper and cinnamon (if using), ensuring every slice is coated with oil.
- Lightly grease the air fry basket.
- In batches, air fry the sweet potatoes at 390F for 20 minutes, giving the basket a good shake every 7 to 8 minutes for even cooking. If it still not crisp, air fry for additional 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with ketchup.
- Do not over crowd the air fryer basket. Or else it will ‘steam’ instead of getting ‘fried’.
- Instead of cinnamon, you can use any seasoning of choice. Dried herbs, curry powder, garlic powder with smoked paprika are all good choices that goes well with sweet potatoes.
Don’t Forget to print out your recipe!