We have always had such a great love for Mexican foods! However, that love was magnified while we were stationed in El Paso, Texas. We have been incredibly blessed to learn so much culturally through our military travels and afforded the opportunities to embrace and try many different types of food!
Empanadas are a staple in the hispanic community. Before we get to the recipe, let’s cover the history. You all knew that I was going to go there didn’t you? Empanadas are pastries that are filled with a variety of different items – from seafood, meat and veggies to fruit and cheese.
They gained in popularity through Latin and South America. Shops in Latin and South America serve fresh made empanadas in their stores. They remind me a little bit of the American “hot pocket” in how they are made. They can be served as a snack, appetizer, or even as a meal itself!
Did you know empanadas were thought to have first introduced in Spain? In fact, each year an empanadas Festival is held!
Join: Our Awesome Recipe Group on Facebook for More Ideas!
Spicy Chicken Empanadas with Cilantro-Scallion Dipping Sauce
Makes: 20 pies (10 pies from each roll)
For the Empanadas:
- 1 box of Refrigerated Pie Crust (2 rolls)
- 1 cup of shredded rotisserie Chicken
- ½ cup of shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ cups of chopped Green Onion/Scallions
- ½ cup of chopped Cilantro
- 2 chopped Jalapeno, seeds and membrane removed
- ½ teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon of ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons of Hot Sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 Tablespoon water)
For the Cilantro-Scallion Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup of Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon of chopped Green Onion/Scallions
- ½ cup of chopped Cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of smoked Paprika
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken, cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, jalapeno and cilantro, garlic powder, ground cumin, hot sauce and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Unroll the pie dough onto a well-floured surface. Using a 5-inch circular cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as possible. Using a rolling-pin, roll out the scraps and continue to cut out circles until the dough runs out. We got 10 circles from 1 pie dough. Repeat the same with the other pie dough.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the spicy chicken filling into middle of dough. Moisten edges with egg wash.
- Fold the dough in half over the filling, forming a half circle, then use the fingers to gently press and seal the edges. Use a fork to crimp the edges together.
- Brush each empanadas with the egg wash.
- Air fry the empanadas at 400 F for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with Cilantro-Scallion Dipping Sauce.
Read: More Air Fryer Recipes!
Print the recipe out for later!