I put forth my best effort in controlling my carb intake. It is a constant battle of the wills and, since we’re being honest, I am a southerner who comes from a long line of good cooks and I love to eat great tasting food. A constant battle, I tell ya.
One of the foods that everyone in my family loves to eat are french fries. Served by themselves, french fries can be okay. However, what if there was a way to get your french fry kick without all the carbs from the potatoes? You can do just that with Jicama Fries!
So now you might be scratching your head and asking yourself what is Jicama?!
Jicama is a root vegetable and has its “roots” beginning in the Mexican peninsula. While Jicama is a root vegetable, it actually grows on vines in warm climates like in Central America and Southern Asia.
Jicama is very similar to a turnip but it tastes more like an apple. Jicama is a great addition to many recipes from stir fries, salads, soups and slaws. You can pair Jicama with a variety of vegetables, meats and seafood.
There are also a lot of health benefits to Jicama. It is low in calories but super high in fiber containing about 1/4 of the daily needed intake of fiber for your diet per serving.
The fiber that is contained in the Jicama has inulin, which is a fructan that promotes bone health. It also promotes good bacteria growth, which is a super important benefit when eating healthy.
There are many other benefits found in Jicama but here is one that I think just about anyone would love to know more about. A study published in the British Journal of Nutrition in 2005 showed that foods containing inulin, such as jicama, lower colon cancer risks in several ways!
These ways include: reducing exposure as well as the toxic impact of carcinogens in the gut and inhibiting the growth and spread of colon cancer to other areas of the body.
There you have it! It not only tastes great, but it’s a healthy alternative to potatoes, and it’s been shown to lower the risk of cancer!
Without further ado, here is my recipe for Air Fryer Jicama Fries! Your healthy french fry alternative!
Air Fryer Jicama Fries
- 1 medium sized Jicama, cut into matchsticks
- ½ teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
- 2 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Power Air Fryer XL Deluxe – 3.4 QT, Red Electric Programmable AirFryer For Healthy Fried Food With Less or No Oil, 7 One Touch Presets For Your Favorite RecipeNuWave Brio Air Fryer (6 qt. Air Fryer w/ Accessory Kit)Paula Deen’s Air Fryer Cookbook
- In a large bowl, add the jicama matchsticks, garlic powder, smoked paprika, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine. Each jicama matchsticks, should be well coated with oil and spices.
- Air fry for 15 minutes at 400F. Shake the basket every 4 to 5 minutes, to ensure even frying.
- Serve hot with ketchup or your favorite condiment!
- Since jicama is a very crisp vegetable, the fried will have a bite to the, they won’t melt in your mouth like potato fries does.
- Also jicama is slightly bland. The spices really gives it a nice flavor.