Air Fryer Green Bean Casserole
Here is a blast from the past that I would rather keep hidden but is important to the story. Years ago, I shared a recipe for my green bean casserole. That was before I had a good camera or knew anything about photographing food. It is embarrassing to say the least, but I get an A for effort, right?
Besides, one should never judge a book by its cover, or in this case, a recipe by its picture. This recipe is amazing! We enjoy it mostly during the holidays, but it is a great dish to serve all year-long.
Join: Awesome Recipes on Facebook for more ideas!
So I was thinking, why couldn’t I convert this article into an Air Fryer recipe? I mean I needed better pictures anyway! For those who do not know the history behind green bean casserole, it became a family name back in 1955 when Campbell’s Soup first published this recipe in a pamphlet.
Years before the internet and Pinterest became the “go to” for us to find recipes, recipe pamphlet’s were a huge business for businesses like Ball Canning, Cuisinart, General Mills, Campbell’s, and so on. These companies would release these handy pocket-sized booklets that included tips, tricks, and recipes regularly!
More often than not, recipe booklets included the brands of the company publishing them. For example, Campbell’s would showcase how to use their soups in recipes. Ball Canning would include recipes that could be canned or fixed in those handy-dandy jars that were in households around the world.
Well, Campbell’s soup also had their own kitchen! This kitchen was used to test recipes that would later go into their pamphlet’s. Dorcas Reilly was one of the testers who worked in the Campbell’s test kitchen and in 1955 she came up with the original and famous version of green bean casserole!
The original version of this dish became famous fast and is still popular to this day! Holiday buffets and tables all across the country feature this beloved dish. It is a great item to have on your menu and is easy, quick, and doesn’t require tons of ingredients.
Over the years, many people, including myself, have adapted the recipe to their own liking. I have altered the recipe slightly in my version. Because I cannot eat mushrooms, I swap Cream of Mushroom Soup for Cream of Chicken.
I also add in ham to help compliment the flavors. I also add in cheese and melt it, which again, adds in more flavors to this dish. It is just so good!
Grab an Air Fryer and accessories if you need them and let’s get started!!!
Power Air Fryer XL (5.3 QT Deluxe, Black)NuWave Brio Air Fryer (6 qt. Air Fryer w/ Accessory Kit)The Complete Air Fryer Cookbook: Amazingly Easy Recipes to Fry, Bake, Grill, and Roast with Your Air Fryer
Green Bean Casserole
- 2 lbs. of Green beans, trimmed and chopped (You can also use fresh canned or regular canned too)
- 1 lb. of Maple Ham, diced
- 1 can of Cream of Chicken
- 1 (6 oz.) tub of Crispy Fried Onions
- 1 cup of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- ¾ cup of Milk
- In a large skillet, combine the green beans, chopped ham, cream of chicken soup and milk and bring to a low simmer. Take it off the heat.
- In a casserole dish, spread a thin layer of crispy fried onions.
- Then spread a thin layer of shredded cheese, followed by the green beans and ham mix.
- Keep layering with alternate layers of crispy fried onion, cheese and green beans and ham mix.
- The top layer should be cheese and crispy fried onion.
- Place the casserole in the air fryer basket and air fry at 350F for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Don’t Forget to Print Out The Recipe For Later!