My real, true love for fish began when we lived in the state of Washington! I mean, sure I had eaten fish before but there was something about having a bounty of fresh fish available anytime day or night that made this delicacy so much more enjoyable! I had my choice between fresh salmon, chinook, catfish and even my husband got in on this action with fresh calamari, shrimp and sushi! The fish was served in a variety of ways, too. Think of the scene in the movie Forest Gump where Bubba is talking about shrimp, except substitute fish in place of shrimp.
I was still watching my carb intake and having the abundance of fresh fish was perfect! If you haven’t been to Seattle, you should plan a trip and head to Pikes Peak. There you can see them passing the fresh fish around at the hatchery! It is truly an enjoyable and amazing experience! Also, you can enjoy a fresh cup of coffee at the original Starbucks while you’re there! That’s another story though! 🙂 Where was I? Oh yes! Fish!
Since our family loves fish so much, I wanted to cook fish in my Air Fryer. Thus, this Air Fryer, Fried Catfish recipe was born! This recipe is kid tested and mother approved! I hope you love this recipe though as much as we do!
Serves – 6
- 1 lb. of Catfish filet (about 6 to 7 fillets)
- 2 teaspoons of Old Bay Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of Buttermilk
- ½ cup of Yellow Cornmeal
- ¼ cup of Italian Breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup of Panko crumbs
- Oil spray or mist
- Wash and pat dry the catfish fillet. Season them generously with old bay seasoning and let them hang out for 10 minutes.
- In a large shallow bowl, combine the yellow cornmeal, Italian breadcrumbs, panko crumbs, salt and pepper. Mix it well.
- In another shallow bowl, add the buttermilk, salt and pepper and whisk it well.
- Take a seasoned catfish fillet and dip it buttermilk. Shake off the excess. Coat it completely with the cornmeal-panko-breadcrumb mix. Keep it aside on a wire rack.
- Repeat with all the fillet.
- Place a couple of prepared fillets in the lightly greased air fryer basket. Lightly spray the crumb coated fish fillets.
- Air fry at 400 F for 15 minutes, flipping at the halfway mark.
- Repeat with all the prepared catfish fillets
- Serve hot with ranch or ketchup and a tall glass of iced tea.