Summer is here! That means it is time for cookouts, get togethers, potlucks and more! After that is football season, which always makes my husband happy. Although he’s a huge college football fan, his favorite team is Ohio State. (Edit: THE Ohio State. I was corrected.).
He also likes when I come up with fun party foods for the potlucks we go to and for football Saturdays! We don’t want the same old nachos or wings (although those are mainstays) each time, so that means I need to think outside the box.
Another thing to take into consideration is carbs. Clay doesn’t stick to a strict low carb diet, but here recently he has been trying to cut back some himself and get back into shape.
I also have to watch because if I eat too many carbs I blow up like a pillsbury biscuit. 😉 So there comes the issue…trying to find delicious, fun party foods that are also lower in carb.
That leads me to my Air Fryer Cheesy Sausage Bites. These sausage bites were something that was originally fixed with higher carb ingredients. I sat down and went through the recipe to come up with a low carb version. This is for sure a recipe you will want to add to your party food list! They are just so incredibly good!
Instead of using regular breadcrumbs or regular flour, I substitute almond flour and coconut flour. Using both of these makes the sausage bites healthier and the perfect low carb recipe!
I think they actually taste better low carb than they did with regular flour. Maybe it is the fact that I don’t feel as guilty eating them? LOL! Anyway, give this recipe a try in your air fryer. You won’t be sorry!
Air Fry Everything: Foolproof Recipes for Fried Favorites and Easy Fresh Ideas by Blue Jean Chef, Meredith Laurence (The Blue Jean Chef)The Complete Air Fryer Cookbook: Amazingly Easy Recipes to Fry, Bake, Grill, and Roast with Your Air FryerPaula Deen’s Air Fryer Cookbook
Air Fryer Cheesy Sausage Bites
Makes – approximately 25
- 1 lb. of ground Sweet Italian Sausages, Mild or Hot
- 2 cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup of Blanched Almond Flour
- ¼ cup of Coconut Flour
- ½ teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 3 Large Eggs
- ¼ cup of Coconut Oil, melted
- ½ cup of Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
- ½ teaspoon of dried Oregano
- Over medium heat, brown the Italian sausages. Drain the excess fat and keep aside.
- Shift together the almond flour, coconut flour and baking soda. Make sure there are no lumps.
- In a large bowl, crack the 3 eggs, add the melted coconut oil, sour cream and spices (garlic powder, smoked paprika, oregano) and whisk it very well.
- Add the shifted flour mix and gently fold in with a spatula or wooden spoon. Do not over mix.
- Add the browned sausages and the shredded cheese. Fold it in.
- Let the batter hang out for 5 minutes to thicken up. It should be perfectly scoop-able.
- Using a small cookie scoop, makes 25 even sized balls from the batter. Wet your hands so that the batter does not stick to your hands.
- Chill the cheese sausage balls in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Generously grease the air fryer basket. Place the cheese sausage balls (in batches), keeping them at least an inch apart.
- Air fry at 370 F for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with Cheese dip or Salsa Con Queso.
Don’t Forget to Print the Recipe Card below and also see the note section for more tips!
You can use melted butter instead of coconut oil. Just make sure the butter or the coconut oil is not hot enough to start cooking the eggs. It should be melted but cool enough to touch with your fingers. The batter should be thick and sticky. If it is runny, add ½ teaspoon of coconut flour at a time and let it sit for 5 minutes, till it’s sticky and perfectly scoop-able. Vary the spices, according to preference.
You can use melted butter instead of coconut oil. Just make sure the butter or the coconut oil is not hot enough to start cooking the eggs. It should be melted but cool enough to touch with your fingers.
The batter should be thick and sticky. If it is runny, add ½ teaspoon of coconut flour at a time and let it sit for 5 minutes, till it’s sticky and perfectly scoop-able.
Vary the spices, according to preference.