5 Reasons to Eat Dinners Together as a Family
Eating dinner together might be one of the most important things you can ever do for your family. Maybe you’ve read that eating dinners together is a great way to spend time together. Maybe you’ve even heard it suggested in parenting groups or by your pediatrician, but do you really understand why it’s so beneficial?
There have been many research studies over the past couple of decades that show us how important it is to eat dinners as a family. Let’s take a look at some of the reasons why it’s a good idea:
- It helps you stay connected – Dinner together gives you all the chance to talk about your day, what you’ve been up to, share about friends and school, and much more. It’s a way to take time out each day from your busy schedules and commit to being a family. It’s a wonderful way to reduce stress and build a stronger bond as a family.
- Children learn to appreciate healthy foods – When you eat at home together versus eating out, you can also introduce new foods, or encourage your children to eat more healthy foods. This gives you the chance to sit down together and appreciate healthy foods. Your children will learn from your example.
- You can control the portions – When you eat out, you cannot control the portions. When your kids grab their own meals from the kitchen, you don’t really know what they are eating or how much. When you all sit down together and enjoy a healthy meal, you have more control over what they eat and you can monitor their portions.
- Studies show it reduces your child’s chances of doing drugs or alcohol – Studies have shown that teens who have dinners with their family at least three times a week get better grades than those who do not. It can also help younger children grow their vocabulary. It also instills a sense of well-being and trust in teens that discourage them from drugs and alcohol.
- Your children may perform better in school – Studies have also shown that kids who eat dinners together with their family typically perform better in school.
Use these resources to help make lasting memories and grow your faith during your family dinners!
Now that you have these five reasons to eat dinners together as a family, you’re ready to start planning accordingly. Even if you find it impossible to have dinner together every night, you should make a point to try to do it as much as you can.
Maybe you start with just two nights a week that you’re able to do it, or maybe you can only get everyone together on the weekend. Whatever the case may be, making that effort is really important.
I personally love to use Plan to Eat as one way to help me with my meal planning. It is an excellent resource that I recently discovered! Check it out and let me know what you think.
Lastly, get one thing I love about family meal time is getting my kids involved in the prep. It seems that when my kids help me to prepare the meal, they enjoy it more.
There is just something satisfying about preparing a meal yourself, kids can learn that at a young age- supervised of course! We use Kids Can Cook course help with that!
With VIP access, you can keep the course forever and teach as many children as you want (that includes neighbors, cousins, homeschool co-ops, etc.). So you can really squeeze a ton of value out of the one investment. Check it out here===>>>