5 Prayers to Pray From Psalms
Prayer is powerful. The fact that I can speak words and the God of the Universe not only hears what I say, but longs to have a conversation and respond to me, amazes me every time I think about it.
Yet, if we are honest, prayer can also be challenging. There are times we feel like we are only talking to ourselves; times when we feel embarrassed, especially if praying in front of others; times when we feel like we just don’t know the right words. We’re not alone. Even Jesus’ disciples needed help when it came to praying.
When we don’t know what to pray, try praying the very words of God back to Him. There is nothing magic in doing this, but the Word of God is filled with prayers and promises that we can incorporate into our own prayers. God cannot deny Himself.
The book of Psalms is filled with prayers. Many of these prayers were prayed by David. Here are Five prayers from the book of Psalms that will help strengthen your prayer time.
Want to make praying the Psalms a daily part of your life? Maybe these selections from Amazon will help.
- To be with the Lord– Psalm 84: 10-12 – Every day, my desire to be with the Lord grows greater and greater. When we want to verbalize this to God, we can use this Psalm to help us with the words.
For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
Than dwell in the tents of wickedness.
For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
The Lord will give grace and glory;
No good thing will He withhold
From those who walk uprightly.
O Lord of hosts,
Blessed is the man who trusts in You!
2. Confession of Sin – Psalm 52- Sin happens on a daily basis. What we do with that sin is important. Confessing it keeps us in right relationship with God.
Why do you boast in evil, O mighty man?
The goodness of God endures continually.
Your tongue devises destruction,
Like a sharp razor, working deceitfully.
You love evil more than good,
Lying rather than speaking righteousness.
You love all devouring words,
You deceitful tongue.
God shall likewise destroy you forever;
He shall take you away, and pluck you out of your dwelling place,
And uproot you from the land of the living.
The righteous also shall see and fear,
And shall laugh at him, saying,
“Here is the man who did not make God his strength,
But trusted in the abundance of his riches,
And strengthened himself in his wickedness.”
But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God;
I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever.
I will praise You forever,
Because You have done it;
And in the presence of Your saints
I will wait on Your name, for it is good.
3. To not be shaken – Psalm 30:6-12 – There are times when our world is shaken. When we are wanting to not be shaken, Psalm 30:6-12 helps us remember to rely on God.
4. Yearning for God – Psalm 42:1 – Do you yearn for God? There are times when my desire for God wanes and I want to have the desire come back. This verse helps remind me to pray for that and reminds me I am not alone in that desire.
As the deer pants for the water brooks,
So pants my soul for You, O God.
5. Peace – Psalm 23 – Probably the most recognizable psalm is Psalm 23. This Psalm is one that brings great peace no matter what season of life you may be going through.
The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Don’t forget to grab your copy of C.S Lewis’ Praying the Psalms to go with your study!
No matter what you pray, prayer is powerful. Adding God’s Word into your prayer time will take it to a new level. Begin slowly and over time you will see your prayer life grow in powerful ways as you flavor it with the Word of God.