Well y’all, 2017 is a wrap! So many things have happened this past year in both my personal life and in this blog life. At the end of each year, I like to reflect on how far I’ve come, where I need to improve, and count my blessings. For the next week or so, you’ll be seeing my top posts from 2017. I’ll be sharing posts my top posts about Faith, Instant Pot, Air Fryer and Homeschooling. I focus on these particular topics the most because they are all part of my daily life! Stay tuned to see which ones you, my beloved readers, pushed these posts to the top of the list. Before we dig into all those goodies, I’d like to recap in general about what’s been going on (along with a handful of my favorite posts of the year!).
Some of my homeschool blogger friends and I are participating in a #secretsanta gift exchange. I’m so excited that my gifts came from my “Santa.” This was just so much fun! Thank you @lifeofahomeschoolmom for putting this together and @themultitaskinmom for my surprise! I am so grateful, you made my day! #homeschoolblogger #homeschool #homeschoolbloggernetwork #giftexchange #Christmas #friendship #bloggerlife
This year brought forth good times, great times and not so great times. No matter what life threw my way, I knew that God was right there by my side. My faith has grown by leaps and bounds, homeschooling has been so great to me and my family and my love of my Instant Pot and Air Fryer has just continued to expand!
To cap off 2017 my family did something we don’t normally do. We skipped the “normal” family Christmas activities and left for the week. Clay’s work was shut down for the entire week, so it just made sense to use those days for a family vacation. I have a friend that lives in Florida and we stayed at her parents’ guest house and visited some great attractions! Instead of waking up on Christmas day and opening gifts wrapped under the tree, watching a parade or some other Christmas day show, cooking dinner and baking cookies, we spent Christmas day at DisneyWorld in Orlando, Florida! Here are some of the highlights from the trip and stay tuned for more detailed posts later about the trip!
We were able to attend “O Wondrous Night” at Sea World in Orlando today and it was amazing!!! If you haven’t had a chance to go, you should! It was amazing seeing such a good family show. I was also so impressed that the Birth of Christ was shared! Scroll for more pics and a video. @seaworldorlando #christmas2017 #Christmas #[email protected]#owondrousnight #BirthOfChrist #jesusisthereasonfortheseason #awefilledhomemaker #awefilledveteranswife #wivesoffaith @c.prater #hooahdevotionals
My Word of the Year for 2018
I often hear about people focusing on one word for the whole next year. It’s sort of like a New Year’s resolution, but one that’s more focused and centered, yet achievable and one that I can stand by. Throughout the year, no matter the circumstance, I focus on this one word and it is meant to help me to persevere through the storm.
In 2018 my word of the year is going to be, ironically enough, “Focus“.
There are several things I want to focus on this year. Things like:
- Time with my family. I can not express the importance of family time. Unfortunately, it can be easy to get distracted with the millions of things going on in everyday life. These distractions cause me to forget the most important people in my life – my family. In 2018 I want to make it more of a goal to focus on family, focus on time with them, and focus on time with my kids. They’re growing up right before my eyes and every moment is precious.
- More wonderful content on the blog. I spend more time than you will ever know planning, prepping and putting up new content for you to read and share. Whether its new content to help you in your walk with God, new content for your homeschool, or just new and delicious recipes, my goal is to create tons and tons of fabulous, out of this world new content for you in 2018!
- Making time a priority. Just like family, time is often hard to make a priority. Time slips away and, before I know it, I’m writing a post recapping the year and I’m wondering where all the time went! In 2018, I want to be more focused on setting goals. I want to be more focused on setting time for certain tasks (and walking away from that task when the time is up) and really, really enjoying the time we have. When I’m spending time with family or friends, I want to be sure to enjoy that time and focus on the moment, rather than waiting for it to come to a close so I can move on to the next item on my list.
- Focus on my walk with God and focus on how to grow in the Lord. Between being a mom, working and homeschooling, my time with the Lord often gets sacrificed. At the end of the day, I’m tired and just want to sleep or sit and watch a movie and unwind. That’s not how it should be and I know it! In 2018, I really want to focus on my walk with God, just as I focus on walking up and down the stairs, or throughout my house. I want to focus on growing in the Lord even more. I want to focus on balancing work and homeschool, but keeping the Lord at centerstage every step of the way.
- Reading. I know this is an odd thing to focus on but, honestly, it is something that I need to really make more of a priority. I already read a lot in our homeschool life. We began Classical Conversations this year and I also throw in a lot of Charlotte Mason tips, tricks, and advice into our homeschool life. She was heavy on reading and so we have also always been heavy on reading. However, in my personal life, as someone who loves, loves, loves books, my focus has been less on reading and more on my website. While that is great, I want to challenge myself to focus and balance much better so that I can focus on personal growth in the Lord, as a parent, as a wife, as a homemaker, and even in my business. I would love to read 24 books this year. I am not narrowing it to topics, but really just any books. That’s my starting goal. Come back at the end of 2018 and see how I do. Also, stay tuned for a book list- coming soon!
It’s not always easy to focus. Life gets in the way, but this is my goal for the New Year! Do you have a goal for 2018? Do you have a word in mind to keep you on track to achieve that goal? I’d love for you to comment below and let me know what yours is!
She Believes: Embracing the Life You Were Created to LiveShe Believes: 75 Devotionals to Encourage, Motivate, and InspirePraying God’s Word: Breaking Free from Spiritual StrongholdsFull: Food, Jesus, and the Battle for SatisfactionFinding I AM – Bible Study Book: How Jesus Fully Satisfies the Cry of Your Heart
Before I let you go, I think it’s only appropriate to mention my top 5 posts of the year. These are the ones I loved just as much as y’all did!
In the last week of this year, my top post of the YEAR and top post on my entire site of all time shifted. It seems a lot of people got an Instant Pot for Christmas and wanted to know how to use them.
Meatloaf is one of the most popular meals to make. This post took off and has became a favorite recipe on my site.
Praying the scriptures is so very important. Praying scriptures will make a significant difference in your family. This post means so much to me. I have left it completely unaltered as this was written by my dear friend Mandy Kelly who along with her husband and two children went home to be with Jesus this year after a house fire. She would want this shared though so here are 5 Verses to Pray Over your New Year!