15 Scriptures to Help with Anxiety
I was faced with a situation that left me with some anxiety issues this past week. The sad part of this situation was this deep hurt came from a leader in a church.
Sometimes I wonder if we, as Christians, can be our own worst enemy. I wanted to curl up and cry. I was devastated with how I was spoken to and how I was treated. I even messaged my assistant and told her I had to take some time off.
I needed to reflect on who I was in the Lord and get control of the anxiety that was hitting me full force. The lovely thing about my assistant is that she is also a Sister in Christ.
We spoke on the phone for quite some time and she helped point me back in the right direction. I was also reminded of a sermon my Pastor recently preached. I dug out my sermon notes, referenced the scriptures and began to feel more at peace.
Once the anxiety began to subside, I made a vague post about the hurt on my personal FB page. It wasn’t detailed, just a vague post about how I felt. It was more about the Scripture and hope I was reading to help me.
My Pastor commented and said “Jesus got wounds from the ‘Church’ too and yet He still proclaimed Father forgive them for they know not what they do. Lord help us to remember who we are following and to forgive as we are forgiven. Thanks for being a light, sister.”
The next morning my sweet friend Joneal Kirby posted a meme that had the Scripture from Psalm 94:19. “When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.”
I dug more into His Word. I began arming myself with the full armor of God. We need protection everyday and sometimes we need protection even within the church.
If you struggle with anxiety or worrying as we all do from time to time, these scriptures below may help you to overcome the worry and anxiety you feel.
Learn how to free yourself by remembering these scriptures and repeat them when you find yourself feeling overwhelmed. I make note cards to have handy or use the cards that come in my Day Spring, Illustrated Faith kit of the month.
God is always on our side and will never leave us nor forsake us. When yourself filled with fear and anxiety, just read these scriptures and be reminded of His promises.
He will give you the strength to overcome and break free from the anxiety you feel is consuming you. Lean on the Lord, trust in His word, and watch the chains be broken from our fears, anxieties and worries.
Before I go on though, I want to HIGHLY recommend you check out the books shared here. They are Biblical and Christ Centered.
A Practical, Biblical Approach to AnxietyDoing What We Can While We Wait for God–and JoyHope and Help for Depressed PeopleDepression: Looking Up from the Stubborn Darkness How God Lifts the Pain of Worthlessness and Rejection
Best Scriptures for Anxiety and Worry
- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
- Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You. Psalm 56:3
- In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul. Psalm 94:19
- The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? Psalm 118:6
- I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13
- So that we may boldly say, The Lord [is] my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me. Hebrews 13:6
- But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, establish, strengthen, settle you. 1 Peter 5:10
- Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
- Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27
- Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God.I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’ Isaiah 41:10
- Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know. John 14:1-4
- Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Matthew 6:25
- Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. Matthew 6:34
- Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression, But a good word makes it glad. Proverbs 12:25
- And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all-sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work. 2 Corinthians 9:8
While you are here, if you are a blogger join us for the 6th weekly Faith Friday Link up– link up your blog posts below! You can share faith-based content, homeschool, marriage, parenting, etc! So long as it is not against Gods word and not political it is fine! If you aren’t a blogger- take time to read the posts when they are linked and enjoy!